Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc., Unveils CYTOMIMIC™ Technology at 68th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology
CYTOMIMIC(TM) Technology is a trademarked, proprietary technology designed to mimic the body's own bioelectricity
Captured in a topical treatment, it helps optimize cell-to-cell communication at the surface level of the skin, and helps to rebuild and restore a youthful appearance
Miami Beach, FL (March 5th 2010) -- Building on decades of research into how the body's electrical field affects skin regeneration, scientists at Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc., have discovered how to harness the power of bioelectricity to help improve skin rejuvenation. The new innovation, called CYTOMIMIC™ Technology, is a proprietary, patented technology that combines essential minerals to deliver biological levels of electric signals similar to the skin's natural bioelectricity. CYTOMIMIC™ Technology will be introduced to the dermatologic community and featured in nine scientific posters at the 68th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), March 5-9, 2010, at the Miami Beach Convention Center.
"CYTOMIMIC™ Technology mimics the body's natural bioelectricity to help rejuvenate, repair and renew skin," says Dr. Ying Sun, a Distinguished Research Fellow and Science Leader for an internal growth platform venture at Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. "We combine essential minerals in a first-of-its-kind delivery system to deliver biological levels of electric signals similar to the skin's natural bioelectricity."
The clinical studies that demonstrate improvement of the skin's appearance starting within minutes of application with continued improvements over time have been accepted and will be on display at what is considered the largest and most prestigious gathering of dermatologists. With more than 19,000 physicians from around the world attending the Annual Meeting in 2009, this yearly gathering's stated objective is to link research and clinical findings to practice, with the ultimate goal to advance dermatology care.
The scientific posters that feature CYTOMIMIC™ Technology include:
- Biomimetic Electricity Generated by an Elemental Bi-mineral Complex Produces Anti-Inflammatory Activity
- Biomimetic Electricity Generated by an Elemental Bi-mineral Complex Increases Extracellular Matrix Production in Human Skin Explants
- Biomimetic Electricity Generated by an Elemental Bi-mineral Complex Inhibits Melanogenesis via Suppressing Tyrosinase Expression
- Safety and Tolerability of a Topical Bi-mineral Complex that Generates Biomimetic Signals
- Biomimetic Signaling Technology Generated by a Bi-mineral Complex Demonstrates Efficacy in Reducing Clinical Photo-aging in a 12-Week Placebo-Controlled Study
- Biomimetic Signaling Technology Generated by a Bi-mineral Complex Reduces Signs of Photo-aging in the Eye Area
- A Cosmetic Product Containing Biomimetic Signaling Technology to Improve the Aging Signs in the Eye Area
- Clinical Improvements in Facial Photo-Aging with Topical Application of a Biomimetic Mineral Complex and Naturals Extract Formulation
- Facial Moisturizer Featuring Biomimetic Signaling Technology from a Bi-mineral Complex Reduces Skin Laxity
The abstracts will be displayed as electronic posters in Poster Exhibit Hall D. One of the abstracts has the added distinction of also being selected for a Poster Discussion. "Biomimetric Signaling Technology Generated by a Bi-mineral Complex Demonstrates Efficacy in Reducing Clinical Photo-aging in a 12-Week Placebo-Controlled Study," Poster P304, will be presented on Sunday, March 7th from 7:25 -7:35 a.m. in Room D229/230.
This patented technology was discovered in 2004 by Dr. Sun and his colleagues Dr. Jue-Chen Liu and Jeannette Chantalat. Today, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies holds 10 U.S. patents active until 2023 and has multiple U.S. and international applications pending.
CYTOMIMIC™ Technology: How It Works
Bioelectricity is the body's native electrical signaling process that helps direct physiological activities at the cellular level, such as the skin's own rejuvenation process. When applied topically, CYTOMIMIC™ Technology can help to rejuvenate and maintain healthy-looking skin.
As we age, bioelectrical signals naturally diminish which can result in decreased cell-to-cell communication, production of essential proteins such as collagen and elastin, and in healing abilities. This can result in fine lines and wrinkles, loss of firmness and sagging skin.
The science of CYTOMIMIC™ Technology is based on creating and delivering biological levels of electricity directly to the skin, naturally stimulating the intrinsic rejuvenation process. This innovation is based on the design of a proprietary technology – energized micro-particles of zinc and copper – captured in a unique delivery system that helps stimulate the body's own rejuvenation processes. When activated by moisture, these energized micro-particles act as "miniaturized batteries" that help jumpstart healthy skin function. These micro-particles stay on the skin's surface and mimic the body's native electrical signals, to rebuild and restore youthful-looking skin.
Benefits of CYTOMIMIC™ Technology
CYTOMIMIC™ Technology represents a major advancement in skincare, because it's the first technology designed to deliver electricity at a scale that safely simulates the body's own bioelectricity levels in the form of a topical treatment, resulting in:
- Improved cell activity, evidenced in vitro by enhanced expression of collagen and elastin
- Accelerated improvement in reducing the signs of aging, even in the delicate skin around the eyes
- Improved skin texture, firmness and radiance
- Demonstrated anti-inflammatory activity to address a potential cause of aging
Clinical Data on CYTOMIMIC™ Technology
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc., has evaluated CYTOMIMIC™ Technology on more than 1,000 individuals/subjects in clinical and safety studies over 2.5 years, and has demonstrated improvement of the skin's appearance within minutes of application and continued improvements over time.1
CYTOMIMIC™ Technology is clinically proven to significantly reduce the hallmark signs of aging, in some cases in as little time as 30-minutes, by:
- Diminishing the appearance of bags under the eyes and periorbital fine lines and wrinkles
- Reducing the look of dark circles
- Reducing the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- Lifting appearance of the eyes
- Reducing the appearance of crow's feet wrinkles
- Improving radiance and brightness
- Lifting, firming, and enhancing jawline contours
- Improving skin softness and smoothness
"Because the technology is developed based on an understanding of how skin heals and uses bioelectricity, it is potentially transferable to all the other different tissues in our body," says Jeannette Chantalat, Manager of Research & Development at Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. "Bioelectricity is critical to communication; it's the universal language of the body."
1Internal Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc., document, Innovation Summit. June 23, 2009
SOURCE Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc.
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc.,
Rpr Marketing Communications