A Philadelphia jury has awarded $10 million to a 13-year-old girl after deciding she suffered a life-threatening drug reaction related to taking Motrin.
Attorney Eric Roberson told The Philadelphia Inquirer that Brianna Maya of Tennessee was 3½ years old when she was given Children's Motrin brand ibuprofen. He says she had a rare side effect, toxic epidermal necrolysis, and lost 84 percent of her skin, was blinded and suffered brain damage.
Roberson says the girl's lung capacity is now 50 percent of normal but she has improved enough to play saxophone in her high school band.
Roberson says Johnson & Johnson's McNeil Laboratories issued warnings for prescription versions but not over-the-counter versions. Johnson & Johnson is based in New Brunswick, N.J., while McNeil is based in Fort Washington, Pa.
McNeill says it sympathizes with the family but "strongly disagrees" with the verdict and is considering legal options.